On July 20th and 21st, there was a celebration at Sephora for the pre-launch of the Urban Decay Smoked Palette, in downtown Montreal. I was kindly invited to come in and have Eric Jimenez, Urban Decay’s Global make-up artist, do my make-up using the palette! Eric had tons of helpful tips and he explained the various uses of different Urban Decay products at Sephora. I was also lucky enough to try the new Naked Skin foundation before it’s official release. It was an exciting experience, to say the least. Of course, I had to film it for you guys!
The Smoked palette will be available to Canadians at Sephora and select Shoppers’ Drug Marts within the up coming weeks. If you’re in the US, the palette can be purchased on UrbanDecay.com.
The palette comes with an instructional booklet called the “Get the look book” that was written by Founder/Creative Director, Wende Zomnir. The instructions go as far as explaining how to prep the eyes, techniques of application and the entire application process with precise detail.
Kinky – NEW – soft ivory peach, matte finish
Freestyle – NEW – light pantyhose nude, matte finish
Mushroom – warm grey, shimmery finish, also in the Alice in Wonderland Palette
Barlust – NEW – dark golden brown, metallic finish
Rockstar – deep aubergine, shimmery finish, also in the Book of Shadows 3
Evidence – deep navy blue, shimmery finish, also in the 15th Anniversary palette
Backdoor – NEW – true dark brown, matte finish
Loaded – deep emerald shimmer, metallic base, also in the Book of Shadows 3
Asphalt – NEW – deep gunmetal,silver micro glitter and metallic base
Kinky, Freestyle, Mushroom , Backdoor , Blackout
Barlust, Rockstar, Evidence, Loaded, Asphalt
24/7 Glide-on pencil in Perversion – a matte black pencil, the darkest pencil UD makes (darker than zero)
Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion – dries invisible on the skin, but helps eye shadows adhere to the lid, appear more vibrant and increases the longevity of the shades
- the palette comes instructions on 12 different looks
- there is only one shade that appears in one of the Naked palettes, a lot of UD fans own those palettes so it’s nice to not see many repeats
- there are neutral shades, jewel toned shades and ultra dark shades, making this palette more diverse than the Naked palettes
- there are a variety of finishes from matte, shimmer, metallic to micro glittered finishes
- there are 2 matte highlights to better suit different skin tones or looks
- 5 new shades are included in this palette
- it comes with a large, sturdy mirror
- the palette zips shut and whips clean easily
- the palette comes with a full size 1.2g perversion pencil & travel size 3.7 ml original primer potion for added value
- as with most UD palettes, there are some repeated shades
- in my opinion, a mid toned brown or concrete colour would have made this palette more well rounded
- the price is C$58 for 10 shadows of 0.8g each, where as the Naked palettes are C$60 for 12 of 1.4g each – there has been a slight price increase
Eric colour matched me with the new Naked Skin foundation and I was eager to try this one out. He used De Slick over top and underneath, that might have effected the finish of the foundation, but the foundation felt matte on my skin. It’s a very liquid consistency, very build-able water based foundation that sits very well on the skin. It feels almost weightless on the skin if you apply it with a synthetic buffing brush. It comes in 18 shades to suit a variety of skin tones. It’s definitely on my list of foundations to buy!
Here is the finished make-up look, in natural daylight.
Products used, all Urban Decay:
- Primer Potion – Original
- De Slick Setting Spray
- Complexion Primer Potion – Brightening
- Complexion Primer Potion – Pore Perfecting
- NEW Smoked Palette
- 24/7 Glide-on Eye Liner – Perversion
- Big Fatty Mascara
- NEW Naked Skin Foundation
- Afterglow Glide-On Cheek Tint – Score
- Baked Bronzer – Toasted
- Naked lip gloss
Lastly, here is the footage from the event. it includes a walk through of some of Urban Decay’s cosmetics and a tutorial of the look I’m wearing above.
Check out my previous UD tutorials:
Naked / NYE Black & Gold
Naked / Subtle Smokey Eye
Naked / Gunmetal Evening
Naked / Nude Glow & Purple Lips
Naked 2 / Dramatic Taupe Cat Eye
Naked 2 / Taupe Smokey
UD15 / Half Truth Omen
I hope you enjoyed this post. if you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them down below.
Please share and like if you enjoyed this postTweet